Everett Ray Seymour Post 78 - History

The American Legion Everett Ray Seymour Post 78 was organized on August 20th 1920. The Post was named to honor Ridgefield’s first son who met his death on the firing line fighting the Germans in World War I. Everett Ray Seymour was killed near Fere-en-Tradensois, France. His body was buried in the field where he fell, he was 23 years of age, "a bright young man of straight-forward, clean habits".

Early Legion meetings were held in a large room on the top floor of the Martin Block. Owner Francis D. Martin finished the room nicely to make it a pleasant place to meet. Shorty after the Post 78 was chartered; the Legionnaires organized a drive to erect a war memorial monument. Being successful, a stone monument with four bronze plaques bearing the names of all Ridgefield’s “Fallen Hero’s” up to World War II was put into place. It stands on a remnant of the “Old Village Green” and it is where our Memorial Day Parade begins.

Shortly after WWII the membership grew in leaps and bounds by veterans returning home. The Post had to find larger accommodations to fit the size of its increased membership. The Post negotiated with the Town of Ridgefield to lease an old vacant schoolhouse for its new home. The building known as the “Titicus Schoolhouse” is in a historic section of town. Built at the turn of the century, it was used as a schoolhouse until 1939. Post 78 has restored and maintained this historic building since making it our headquarters in the late 1940’s.

Always active to insure all of Ridgefield’s veterans are remembered, Post 78 was responsible for establishing two other memorials. In 1964 a monument in Veterans Park, on Main Street, was erected and bears the names of our “Fallen Hero’s” of the Korean and Viet Nam conflicts. In 1966 a plaque with the names of our World War II “Fallen Hero’s” was installed in the Town Hall.

Today, Post 78 is active in perpetuating Americanism and comradeship thru Legion and Civic good deeds, least we not forget.